Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3rd 21h00

So it's nine o clock. Normally I'd be fast asleep by now, but I'm still up. 21h30 is feeding time at home and my job is sterilisation. I'm quite good at it you know.....

We've just got back from the hospital and it was a really nice evening. After having been put on the ventilator earlier, Steve's blood gasses dipped a little and then recovered beautifully at 18h00. So far, he's really doing well and is making his parents so proud.

He was holding his mom's finger earlier and refused to let go. The sister on duty today Nthabiseng says he's impossible when she suctions him cause all he wants to do is pull the tubes out. Just the kind of news his dad wants to hear.

So hindsight is such a funny thing. In Ante natal lesson 1, the sister went around the class asking who was having natural and who was having C-section births? When Bernice said she'd opted for a c-section, the sister tried to interrogate her as to why? I could see that Bernice wasn't comfortable getting into this discussion so i stepped in and said it was because Saturday is my golfing day, and I wanted to be sure that after the C-section (which had already been scheduled for Wednesday 25th July), we'd be home by Saturday and I'd be able to play golf. The other prospective parents in the class found this to be funny. Elaine didn't. Well has that joke come to bite me in my ass.....

Bernice and I also used to say that our boy was going to fit into our lives and not the other way around. "In that way we'll get him into routine". Sure Bernice and Steve. Sure.

It'sonly been a few days and already there are a lot of parenting lessons learnt.

OK, time to Milton and microwave the hell out of some plastic and silicon pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment